Mayetta’s Market, is an auxiliary of the Hale-Wilkinson-Carter Home Foundation operated by volunteers for the benefit of the Home, providing income in support of local and regional artisans and upkeep and maintenance for the Home. The Market features high quality, handmade original arts and crafts in many forms, as well as publications and recordings by local talents. Writers, musicians, artists and crafts people are invited to apply to participate.
Mayetta’s Market was named for Mayetta Carter. According to local historian, Sebert Sisson, On April 9, 1895, George L. Carter, thirty-eight years old, originally from Carroll County, Virginia, married Mayetta Wilkinson, the twenty-four year old daughter of James and Lillian J. Reeves Wilkinson of Hillsville. George and Mayetta lived in many places before returning “home” to Hillsville. They remodeled the house that Mayetta had inherited from her parents. George had many businesses and farming interests and his financial standing allowed the family the luxury of a nurse to care for their only son, James, and a cook for the family. They remained very private people who didn’t participate in any social organizations and activities. After George’s death, Mayetta continued to live in her thirty-six room house in Hillsville until a short period prior to her death on January 10, 1957.