What is today “The Hale-Wilkinson-Carter Home” was built by Captain Fielden Lewis Hale as a thirteen-room three-story home in 1845. The original home was a brick home with four chimneys made in the Federalist style. The Hales were among the wealthiest families in Carroll County which was carved out of Grayson County in 1842. The home is on the highest hill in Hillsville, Virginia and was built on the Wytheville Pike which was the only North-South route through the mountain gap at the time it was built.
In 1864 the home was purchased by James Wilkinson, whose daughter, Mayetta, married George Lafayette Carter. The Carters lived in the home following Mr. Wilkinson’s death in 1914. The Carters added significant additions to the home in 1924 to make it a 34 room five-story home.
After Mayetta died, the house was sold to Carroll County in 1959, and was used for governmental offices until the new Governmental Complex was completed in 2000. In 2001, the house became a community project under the supervision of the Hale-Wilkinson-Carter Home Foundation which has been a 501(c)3 organization. The county was able to secure two grants totaling $248,000 to start the restoration process on the home. Much more work is still to be done to complete the restoration project.
On January 19, 2010, two members of the Foundation met with the county administrator to discuss the conditions of the potential transfer of the Hale-Wilkinson-Carter Home to the Foundation. Shortly afterward, the Board of Supervisors gave their approval for the transfer of the home during a public hearing held at Carroll County High School on March 8, 2010. The Home, located on .557 acres in historic downtown Hillsville, was deeded to the Foundation from Carroll County on April 5, 2010.